Birthdays are special to me. I like to think of them as individual holidays. Fun fact: you share your birthday with over 20 million people in the world yet, it’s unlikely you will meet someone who shares your birthday. Funny enough, I have met two other people who were also born on April 27th too. It becomes a day everyone in your life can celebrate you and only you.
For my 24th birthday, I had a very luxurious and over the top destination birthday planned in Cancun, Mexico. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. However, it was canceled due to the coronavirus.
Since we’re in quarantine, I’ve had a lot of time to reflect on life and think about the lessons I’ve learned so far. I believe without reflection we can’t grow from our past. So instead of being down at canceled plans, I decided to celebrate in another meaningful way by sharing
24 things I’ve learned so far:
1. My black is beautiful no matter the shade.
2. My hometown doesn’t dictate how far I can go.
3. When I forgive others, I can let go of the pain.
4. It’s okay for me to cry and feel my emotions.
5. My relationships with friends are just as important as my romantic relationships.
6. Preparation equips me to move confidently in life.
7. God’s plan is better than my plan.
8. My circle is a reflection of me.
9. I don’t have to be perfect, I just need to be me.
10. I have to take care of myself before I take care of anyone else.
11. My beauty shines from within.
12. Speaking positivity changes my life.
13. Treat others how I want to be treated.
14. It’s not about what I know, it’s who I know.
15. Heartbreak is a part of life and I will learn from it.
16. Learning self-discipline will help me become productive.
17. Therapy will help heal wounds from the past and prepare me for the future.
18. Life is my best teacher.
19. Budgeting my money will help me save.
20. I have to love myself first before anyone can love me.
21. Share my story because I never know who I can help and inspire.
22. Believing in myself will build my confidence.
23. Anything worth having is worth the work.
24. The sky’s the limit and I can accomplish anything.
Are you big on celebrating birthdays? What’s one lesson you learned so far?
Leave a comment below or share with me on Instagram stories@shanelamari one life lesson you have learned!